Already in 1961 the Sant'Anna d'Alfaedo Municipality hosted a
small museum consist ing of a single room on the ground floor of the
Town Hall. At the time, prehistoric and fossil exhibits were displayed
in a non - organic manner. In 1998, the Museum moved to its present
location, consisting of a ground floor and a first floor.
The scientific project was supervised by Dr. Lorenzo Sorbini and
technicians from the Natural History Museum of Verona.
In the new premises, the Museum was enriched with new artefacts of
great archaeological value, also thanks to quarrymen Gino Cabrusà
and Riccardo Bortolotti. In addition, a number of artefacts saved
from quarrying and earthworks have been brought here thanks to the
interest of Don Alberto Benedetti. On the up per floor, a room has
recently been set aside for teaching purposes, where a hut and reproductions
of artefacts have been built. Painting, clay working, archery and flint chipping
workshops are held in this room.
The museum is dedicated to the memory of Don Alberto Benedetti,
a profound scholar of the nature of the Lessini Mountains. He was born
in Ceredo di Sant'Anna d'Alfaedo on 28 April 1911. His earliest memories
are of hunger, war and above all the departure of his father for the
Americas in search of work; he is only three years old, but this episode
will mark his existence. His father's enthusiastic description of the
work of Father Bonomelli's missionaries in favour of emigrants convinced
him of his intention to become a missionary. After completing his
primary studies with the help of local priests, he attended high school
and theology at the seminary and was ordained as a priest in 1935.
On 8 February 1944, the bombing of the Seminary, where he had happily
lived, the destruction of the Library, where he had spent unforgettable
days of study, and the death under the bombs of the Rector, to whom he
was bound by deep friendship and esteem, made him lose faith in the
progress of humanity and in the proclaimed values of Science, Civilisation
and Morality. He became a complete anarchist, without ever betraying his
vocation as a priest. Retreating to his native country, he set aside
the idea of becoming a missionary for emigrants, but only to try to solve
the problem at its source: to prevent emigration, educating men to
become intimately free and therefore autonomous, rationally exploiting
local resources, opposing the procurers of overt and covert slavery.
His studies and research, his example and his commitment are always
aimed at th e liberation of man from all forms of slavery and the
enhancement of the environment in which he lives.
SANT’ANNA D’ALFAEDO AND SURROUNDINGS
Sant’Anna d ’Alfaedo is a nice village placed in the western Lessini Mountains, at 930 m a.s.l.
It can be reach ed from Verona, passing through the Valpolicella valley, worldwide famous for its
winery fields, or from Trentino across the Peri village in the Adige Valley. Around Sant’Anna d ’Alfaedo
there are many interesting places to visit, like the natural stone bridge of “Ponte di Veja”,
the beautiful village of Molina with the nearby waterfall park, and the Corno d’Aquilio mountain with
the entrance of Spluga della Preta Abyss, several farms and typical ancient house called “Contrade”.